Dengue fever is one of the contagious viral diseases spread through the mosquito bite. The female Aedes aegypti mosquitoes thrive in stagnant water of surroundings and become the carriers of the virus. The disease is characterized by mild to high fever, headache, joint and muscle pains and rashes. Dengue fever is also known as the bone breaking fever, due to the severe pain experienced in the bones and muscles. Mild Dengue fever does not pose any serious threat, but the condition may worsen in the absence of proper medications. Hemorrhagic Dengue causes internal bleeding and may lead to death. Dengue fever can be diagnosed by the symptoms and blood tests within a couple of days of the fever.
Dengue fever can be diagnosed by the following symptoms
1. Mild to high fever about 105 F
2. Severe pain in the bone joints
3. Intense headache and backache
4. Loss of appetite
5. Appearance of rashes all over the body
6. Nausea followed by vomiting
Prolonged stomach ache, anal and nasal bleeding are the symptoms of Hemorrhagic Dengue
Dengue fever is caused from the bite of female Aedes mosquitoes. These mosquitoes breed in clean, stagnant water in the surroundings of the house and spread the infection to a number of people in the locality. People, who don’t take enough protection from the mosquito bites, are likely to suffer from this disease.
Home Remedies for Dengue
Some useful home remedies can be of great help in treating Dengue.
1. One should reduce the exposure to mosquitoes as far as possible and not venture out in the dawn or dusk, when the mosquitoes are most prevalent.
2. Mosquito nets, mosquito repellant ointments and coils must be regularly used while sleeping at night, to prevent the mosquito bite.
3. Holy basil leaves are very useful in preventing and treating dengue. Drinking a decoction of basil leaves and cardamom powder, adding little salt and milk helps in reducing high fever.
4. Juice extracted from two raw papaya leaves helps in preventing Dengue.
5. Drinking few cups pf herbal tea prepared from basil leaves, ginger and cardamom powder is very effective in reducing the fever.
6. Orange juice is widely used for treating Dengue fever. Drinking orange juice helps in proper digestion, improves urination and boosts the body immunity system to fight against the disease.
7. Plenty of water or diluted fruit juice must be administered to the patient to maintain the required water balance of the body.